|Posted on 24 November, 2014 at 8:35||comments (0)|
Canned Pumpkin is one of my favourite Health Benefit and Home Remedy finds for Dogs and Cats! Canned Pumpkin can be found at your local grocery store or pet store but MUST be 100%Pure Pumpkin (Organic is best) NOT Pumpkin Pie filling as the filling has alot of added sugars and spices that are not beneficial for our precious pets.
The above Brand can be found at your local Pet Valu
Here are some of the great Health benefits of Pumpkin for Dogs and Cats:
- Resolving Diarrhea: This is my favourite use of canned pumpkin, and has worked wonders for my pets during times of diarrhea! It is particularly effective if the upset is caused by a rapid food change or the ingestion of a new food. Some pets and certain breeds are more prone to sensitve stomachs. All it takes is 1 Tablespoon for a small Dog or Cat and 1-2 Tablespoons for a medium or large Dog of canned pumpkin in the animal's food or on its own as most pets enjoy the taste by itself. This can be done daily.
- Helping Constipation: Yes, Pumpkin works both ways! Fiber from pumpkin works in pets the same way it does in humans and can actually treat some gastrointestinal issues. A tablespoon or two of pumpkin can resolve symptoms in a few days if the gut is just a bit "out of order." Some cats may experience decreased colon activity as they age, resulting in constipation, while others suffer due to lack of hydration. The added fiber from pumpkin increases the bulk of the stool and the colon muscles react by moving things along.
- Hydration: Pumpkin flesh is around 90% water, so a little pumpkin topping on a meal can combat dehydration resulting from moisture-deficient processed dry dog and cat foods. Hydration is important for all animals but essential for cats to prevent kidney stones and urinary tract infections. An additional benefit is improved digestion from increasing the gastric "juices" essential to proper gastrointestinal health.
- Reducing Hairballs: By increasing the volume of waste in the intestine, pumpkin can help your cat digest and eliminate fur swallowed during grooming. This can reduce or even prevent the formation of "hairballs" that are eventually regurgitated.
- Assist with weight loss: With 3 grams of fiber per cup, pumpkin can assist weight loss in dogs and cats. The fiber fills the tummy so your pet feels "fuller" sooner, meaning your pet eats fewer calories overall.
- Supplementing Nutrition: One of the biggest benefits of pumpkin to pets and humans is its wealth of nutrition. Pumpkins contain carbohydrates, potassium, vitamin C, Vitamin A (from beta-carotene), iron, folate, magnesium, zinc, selenium, niacin, vitamin E, manganese, copper, and protein.
- Antioxidants: Pumpkin is a good source of antioxidants which help moisturize skin, helping your pet maintain a healthy and shiny coat. Great for pets who suffer from skin issues such as hot spots, allergies, and itchy skin.
Enjoy your new found Love of Pumpkin!